Sunday, September 20, 2009

Response to a friend's comment on the issue of racism

I absolutely understand and respect the fact that one's own life experiences shape the perspectives with which they view the world. I suppose I'm lucky in not experiencing what some of my friends have and maybe for that reason I am naive to some behaviors for what they really are. By the same token, unfortunately, other experiences create a view that puts things into a situation that just aren't there. Therein lies our problem and we all need to be more open to each other's feelings and understand where each individual is coming from. That's not just about race, but all individuals. We all come from somewhere and went through something that made us who we are today. Mutual respect on an individual basis and less name calling is what's needed.

Much love,
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment